Thursday 3 March 2011

Tubby the Tuba

For 14 years of my 38 years i played in brass bands.
I started at the age of 11, it was my first day of high school, and every year you had the out of school clubs come to your class and give you the speech of why you should join them. I didn't really listen to what they had to say, but at dinner time i heard this amazing sound coming from the music room and went to find out more. I managed to sneak past the dinner ladies and get to the music room, and there i stood watching and listening through the door. In front of a group of 28 people with brass instruments stood Miss Bailey, she knew i was there but never said anything till the end of practice. She came over to where i was standing and said 'hello' with a huge smile, 'what do you think?, would you like a try?', and that was that i never looked back. Of course me being me, i didnt go for the smallest instrument, i picked up the biggest, a Tuba and it was nearly has big has me and took to it like a duck to water.
It was ideal being in the school band for a couple of reasons : the first was we were allowed into school early (8.30am) because we had to play for the assembly, and second we got into school dinners first and practiced at dinner time. Both of these were brilliant because i got away from the school bullys which plagued my entire school years, and i made some good friends.
Music came easy to me for some reason, and to be honest apart from Golf the only thing that has. after 6 months of playing and taking the huge thing home every weekend, i found out that the man across from mum and dads conducted a local youth band. One afternoon there was a knock at the front door, Dave stood there asking if i wanted to go along with him to Tuesday night practice and maybe have a try out, I agreed and along i went. I walked into the sports hall of Shavington high school to see everyone sat in sections, in a semi circle, Dave introduced me and i sat and listened to the first half of practice. It was a totally different noise to what the school band was producing, it was awesome. The second half i took my place at the back in the Bass section, there was 4 of us, 2 Eb and 2BBb basses. I joined there and then and the next 14 years were a blast, the places i went to, the people i met and the things i saw and got up to.
They will be in my next blog, thanks for reading.
Offski

No comments:

Post a Comment